As we reach mid-February, the gap is likely to widen between the very driven, forward-focused initiating energy of Mars in Capricorn, on one hand; and the softer, more yin feel of Pisces season, especially once everything slows down during Mercury retrograde …
During this period, which lasts between 17 Feb & 10 March, it will be important to avoid becoming complacent and slipping back into old habits, addictions or toxic patterns. A distinct possibility, given that fun-loving and seductive Venus (dertimented in Aries) will be squaring Jupiter on the same day as the New Moon, which could encourage self-indulgence.
The key is to use the determined, down to earth of Mars in steely Capricorn to maintain your focus and motivation while also tapping into the intuition-enhancing power of the fishes (which encourages surrender, flow and psychic openness) when needed to solve problems creatively and avoid any unnecessary struggles or energy-draining exercises.
See Pisces season as a chance to release any residual emotions or left-over baggage from January’s purge before the astrological new year begins at the Spring Equinox .
The February 2020 New Moon takes place in sensitive and mystical Pisces. Pisces is a mutable water sign, which makes it emotionally porous and psychologically impressionable – able to tune into the energy of others and in fact, everything around them.
Natural empaths, if they don’t practise scrupulous self-awareness and take measures to protect themselves psychically, Moon Pisceans can often find it difficult to discern their thoughts and emotions from others, which can generate a great deal of confusion and inner turmoil, especially in relationships.
Logic is also not a strong suit during Pisces season, especially when Mercury is retrograde in Pisces. The planet of intellect and communication is exalted in precise and orderly Virgo, which is why it is considered to be in fall here. (Worth bearing in mind between now and 10 March.)
The mutable quality of this sign also adds a certain plasticity to emotions or situations, which can either lead to positive shifts that circumvent problems, or emotional/psychological swerving and/or psychic shape-shifting. While this can make people very adaptable and compassionate, it can also make them dishonest and changeable.
Self-destruction and self-sabotage is another big theme around Neptune-ruled Pisces, as is a tendency to romanticize and over-idealize. While the latter are wonderful qualities to cultivate when it comes to creative and spiritual pursuits, it can cause havoc if we refuse to see people or situations as they are – or constantly choose to take the easy way out rather than be honest or act from a place of integrity.
That being said, this energy can encourage kindness, empathy and compassion, as well as emotional openness. The key is learning to be discerning about who we choose to devote our time and energy to. Boundaries and good judgement are therefore very important themes during Pisces season.
In general, the February 2020 New Moon in Pisces is likely to awaken in us some of the following themes:
QUALITIES TO CULTIVATE:
- A longing for more magic and flow in your life
- A desire for closer communion with something greater than yourself
- Increased receptivity to creative or spiritual inspiration
- Increased psychological flexibility & emotional fluidity
- Receptivity to imagination
- Increased empathy, compassion, selflessness and feelings of universal love
- Faith or belief in a higher power or the benevolence of the universe
- A penchant for romance, acting, poetry, film or photography
- Activities related to religious, creative or charitable organisations
- Gradual cycle change as we build up to the March Equinox
Something to think about over the next few weeks will be to practice having faith that our Higher Selves know what is best for us and is always working hard to guide us towards our highest good – IF we allow them to…Personal responsibility and healthy self-care are also likely to be big.
THINGS TO GUARD AGAINST
- Getting sucked back into unhealthy habits, toxic relationships or self-destructive patterns
- Refusing to take personal responsibility for your mistakes, flakiness, insincerity, a lack of self-discipline
- Allowing yourself to be overcome with insecurity, self-doubt, depression or hopelessness
- Emotional confusion, game playing, being deliberately vague/obtuse
- Victim/martyr complex: self-sacrifice, playing helpless, use/abuse, self-harm
- Identity crises: A lack of emotional self-awareness, psychological denial, self-delusion
- Grief, loss, sacrifice, self-denial
The next two weeks of the waxing Moon is a great time to get in touch with your yin side, explore your imaginative faculties and bring more flow into your life. Pisces also rules the feet, so themes revolving around walking away/towards something, movement & flow are also likely to be activated.
This eclipse occurs in the 5th degree of Pisces, the Sabian symbol for which is:
A CHURCH BAZAAR
Keywords: Overcoming loneliness and alienation. Selling things. The issue of real worth. A lot of effort for small rewards. Small scale commercial bartering and interchange. The collection plate. Generosity and charitable community attitudes. Jars of jam and things handmade. Bric-a-brac. Bargains. Practical spirituality. Volunteers. People sharing the load. Charity work. Money raising. Garage or yard sales. Second hand clothes.
The Caution: Spiritual or social exclusivity. Giving things smaller worth than they deserve. Using people. Deception on the grounds of faith. Fussing about small details. Fighting over “position”. Issues of territory. Pushy people. Social boundaries that exclude some.
Drivers of change during the waning Moon cycle.
- Luminaries sextile Uranus – The Sun and Moon will be applying to a dynamic sextile with Uranus in Taurus. This water-earth combination is great for making positive changes to sub-conscious patterns, altering our energetic frequency by regulating our emotions better (particularly anxiety); and introducing new habits, especially diet or or everyday routines.
- The Martian feel continues with a sextile from the Sun and Moon to Mars, which will be located close to the south node. Together with a square to Black Moon Lilith & Chiron, this suggests that this particular lunar phase will be a good time to work on releasing old destructive patterns around the expression of anger, as well as heal conflict in key relationships.
- A detrimented Venus in Aries will also be squaring Jupiter in Capricorn on the same day as the New Moon, which could either lead to self-indulgence or a clash of wills, especially between teachers or mentors and their headstrong pupils or proteges. It could also exacerbate the influence of Black Moon Lilith (unconscious acting out/manipulation), so it will be important to guard against knee jerk reactions such as lashing out or reacting before thinking things through.